Players that quit during match because their not winning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

Midnah

Rookie Trainer

• Midnah
I'm trying to complete my daily challenges and many players I go against quits the match because their losing, and I'm getting tired of it. Just cause the game isn't going your way doesn't mean you gotta quit, you keep playing to the end cause even if you quit you still lost to the player. And it's making it hard to complete my daily challenge. Who else is having this? Mostly it's guys doing this, is it because I'm a girl or what is the reason. And please don't say why are you complaining you got an easy win, I want a challenge.

23 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

Shooterclaus

Expert Trainer

• Shooterclaus

I quit when I have no chance anymore too. Not because I am salty or angry. For me it would be wasting both players time to continue a match that has already been decided. In Chess the best players do it too so i don't think it is unsportsmanlike to forfeit a game. The players leaving do not know you have a challenge to complete. If you tell them before the match they might even stay and help you with it.

I do not think they leave because you are a girl btw :P

23 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

MrJ4m3s

Rookie Trainer

• MrJ4m3s
It's sooo annoying when I'm trying to get a daily challenge!
When I'm just doing the versus I don't mind as much lol!

MrJ

23 July 2016 - 07:21 PM

awesome_guy

Elite Trainer

• awesome_guy

I'm trying to complete my daily challenges and many players I go against quits the match because their losing, and I'm getting tired of it. Just cause the game isn't going your way doesn't mean you gotta quit, you keep playing to the end cause even if you quit you still lost to the player. And it's making it hard to complete my daily challenge. Who else is having this? Mostly it's guys doing this, is it because I'm a girl or what is the reason. And please don't say why are you complaining you got an easy win, I want a challenge.

i understand how frustrating this can be, but we simply have to consider the fact that the challenge itself was poorly structured. It directly promotes the quit vs no quit argument when both have a lot of valid arguments on their side.

And not meaning to start an argument or anything, but didn't you say you want a challenge? Everyone who quits against you (at least 80%) have worse hands than you. So there's not much challenge in that either is there?

23 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

MrJ4m3s

Rookie Trainer

• MrJ4m3s

i understand how frustrating this can be, but we simply have to consider the fact that the challenge itself was poorly structured. It directly promotes the quit vs no quit argument when both have a lot of valid arguments on their side.And not meaning to start an argument or anything, but didn't you say you want a challenge? Everyone who quits against you (at least 80%) have worse hands than you. So there's not much challenge in that either is there?

I like you. You speak truth!
When the game comes to pair people it should take into account weaknesses... It's not a fair match if you're trying to beat someone with EX water Pokemon with your basic fire Pokemon!

MrJ

23 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

Endosutra

Veteran Trainer

• Endosutra

I agree but am on both sides because if I'm losing, I'm not going to just sit there so someone can get their quota. That would require some sort of decent compensation for the loser... 

Other options are if maybe they geared more challenges around "Beat an opponent with mono x type deck to complete challenge" or as an alternate way to meet the challenges requirements. OR have it so that if they do forfeit the match, you get default points towards these other challenges... let's say they forfeit and your goal is to do 750 dmg with a water deck, well if they forfeit and you were playing a water deck lets say you get 100 dmg towards that goal as a bonus for them leaving (just so you get something). Otherwise... the way things are set up with ladder I don't see much else you can do.

Edited by Endosutra, 23 July 2016 - 08:44 PM.

Member Gen 1? 

Ooh, I memba!

Tourney Record: Gold: 50 Silver: 15 Bronze: 20

I am more offended by censorship than by the thing being censored. 

24 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

Midnah

Rookie Trainer

• Midnah
Thank you all I now understand, see you in game

24 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

AbyssWalker14

Trainer

• AbyssWalker14

@Midnah I can suggest a solution which you can try out. If you are doing the evolution challenges, before the start of the match, tell your opponent that you'll concede after evolving your pokemons. Most players will wait for you to finish your evolutions. If you are doing knockout challenges, then play the tournaments which have tokens as entry fee. Most of the times when you face players in a tournament, they will try to play till the end. Since players are spending tokens to enter the tournament, it will reduce the chances of opponents conceding. And even if they do concede, you'll be getting free tournament tickets!!

24 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

majero

Novice Trainer

• majero

THEY'RE***** (not their)

OH MY GOD

*face palm*

Edited by majero, 24 July 2016 - 04:06 AM.

24 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

The best way to clear challenges is to ask them to help you out in exchange for a winning chance. 

Alternatively, if you want to complete challenges and at the same time still have a shot at winning then try theme instead of standard. Many newbs there who will play till the end (if you see someone using Mental Might, a common deck in theme, chances are that person is new). I completed 3 fire evo challenegs today using XY basic red.

I too forfeit very often since I don't always get playable hands (I usually play expanded and rarely participate in tourneys unless I desperately need packs), and it's all to reach the VS ladder's finish line as quickly as possible.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 24 July 2016 - 12:53 PM.

24 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

Firesplitter

Junior Trainer

• Firesplitter

To quit when you are losing is common e-sports courtesy as going on after that point is normally going to waste both players' time and it is usually welcomed if people quit early. The only exception is when doing dailies of course, in that case please tell the opponent you are doing dailies. Many players are going to be surprisingly helpful if you ask nicely. I know I stay if people ask me to, but only if asked to or before the time limit for getting to spin the wheel hasn't resolved.

Otherwise I could recommend doing your dailies in tournaments. People are not going to quit those until they are 100% certain to lose, that I can tell you. :) I know people who have started to do their daiies in that mode for that reason alone.

24 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

SpitFyre

Rookie Trainer

• SpitFyre

I find quitting when you are loosing to be in bad taste. is that how you live your life? do you simply quit when things don't go your way? You shouldn't cut cut corners, play it out to the end. You never know when luck may randomly favor you.

If you really must give up, let the other player knock out your bench. Its essentially the same thing and will help them with the daily's. It will only take  a few minutes longer and you can let them know what you are doing in the chat.

25 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

Firesplitter

Junior Trainer

• Firesplitter

I find quitting when you are loosing to be in bad taste. is that how you live your life? do you simply quit when things don't go your way? You shouldn't cut cut corners, play it out to the end. You never know when luck may randomly favor you.

If you really must give up, let the other player knock out your bench. Its essentially the same thing and will help them with the daily's. It will only take  a few minutes longer and you can let them know what you are doing in the chat.

Why do you think so? When I play for ladder I am happy not having to take 2-3 minutes killing my opponent's bench. It is not fun or rewarding for anyone except people who play games for very dark reasons. As I said, I personally always stay if people ask me to. I have actually even letted people finish their evolve dailies when I was one attack from winning. However, I always assume people play for ladder mainly and pay respect to that by making sure their wins (and mine ofcourse) comes as swiftly as possible, everything else is in my opinion and by my experience bad e-sports courtesy.

Also, if you by quitting mean not hitting my head into an unbreakable wall, yeah, I do that. That is energy and time better spent doing something that can make a change elsewhere. ;) Not quitting though, but finding more efficient ways to get the result I desire, in this case more finished ladders for everyone. :)

25 July 2016 - 02:15 AM

awesome_guy

Elite Trainer

• awesome_guy

how someone plays a game has no relation to how they manage their life. In fact that someone might be quitting to find extra time in their day to manage their life. This comment is absolutely ridiculous (at least the first half) and aimed at infuriating those who quit.

Honestly dude, it's their choice, not yours. You don't have to be sore about it

25 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

To quit when you are losing is common e-sports courtesy as going on after that point is normally going to waste both players' time...

I'm sorry, but this is flat-out wrong.  ...common e-sports courtesy??

We've all been frustrated by poor sports who concede the moment the game turns in our favor.  But please, let's not try to justify this action, and start calling it "e-sports courtesy."

We play on machines, but this is a "real" game, with real people on the other end.

Playing Pokémon, whether you're building a team on your handheld 3DS, or playing the card game, is about WINNING.  We play, we build, and we get better, to WIN. The fun comes from winning!  With that, we have to accept the fact that our opponent is really trying hard to win too.  And even when that's hard, allow them to win with grace.

Courtesy? Sportsmanship? ...that shows when you're getting "your hat handed to you."  ...when you're getting thoroughly trounced. And you can give your opponent an honest smile, and say, "good game."

I wonder how many people in PTCGO have lost sight that this is a virtual representation of a real game. I've never seen a National's champ or World's winner walk away from the table in "common e-sports courtesy" when they were losing.

25 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Firesplitter

Junior Trainer

• Firesplitter

I'm sorry, but this is flat-out wrong.  ...common e-sports courtesy??

We've all been frustrated by poor sports who concede the moment the game turns in our favor.  But please, let's not try to justify this action, and start calling it "e-sports courtesy."

We play on machines, but this is a "real" game, with real people on the other end.

Playing Pokémon, whether you're building a team on your handheld 3DS, or playing the card game, is about WINNING.  We play, we build, and we get better, to WIN. The fun comes from winning!  With that, we have to accept the fact that our opponent is really trying hard to win too.  And even when that's hard, allow them to win with grace.

Courtesy? Sportsmanship? ...that shows when you're getting "your hat handed to you."  ...when you're getting thoroughly trounced. And you can give your opponent an honest smile, and say, "good game."

I wonder how many people in PTCGO have lost sight that this is a virtual representation of a real game. I've never seen a National's champ or World's winner walk away from the table in "common e-sports courtesy" when they were losing.

I have seen many TCG tournaments take place, and yes it is very common that people concede the game when they can obviously no longer win it with a handshake (the official way of conceding games on that level). People concede all the time when they can't possibly win any longer (which is very much the case in Pokémon TCG as you can't keep any hidden information to use during your opponents turn to force them into not winning as that hidden threat could turn the game over). The problem is though that the decks that are encouraged to play thanks to the ladder system are decks that either donk or gets donked very quickly, which means that people will concede when they are sure they will lose, which usually happens turn one or turn two as these decks have no comeback mechanics built in as they are solely meant to farm quick wins.

People play to win, yes. But I know personally that I rather take my wins 3-4 minutes faster than having to waste those minutes killing a defenceless opponent as that is time better spent getting another win, because that is what they should be at that point, otherwise I thank them for a free win. Each to their own though, and if you enjoy bonking a defenceless player then I could add your name to a list or something of players who I do not concede to when I play against, I solely do this because it is how I prefer others to play too when I farm for the ladder, which can not be stressed enough.

Edited by Firesplitter, 25 July 2016 - 11:39 AM.

25 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I have seen many TCG tournaments take place, and yes it is very common that people concede the game when they can obviously no longer win it with a handshake (the official way of conceding games on that level). People concede all the time when they can't possibly win any longer (which is very much the case in Pokémon TCG as you can't keep any hidden information to use during your opponents turn to force them into not winning as that hidden threat could turn the game over). The problem is though that the decks that are encouraged to play thanks to the ladder system are decks that either donk or gets donked very quickly, which means that people will concede when they are sure they will lose, which usually happens turn one or turn two as these decks have no comeback mechanics built in as they are solely meant to farm quick wins.

Yeah that's how I play. Conceding when I get an unplayable hand or get something stupid like a Jirachi EX start. To me, it's not worth staying to fight on if I get a dead hand, and since I usually concede near the beginning I don't think it is that much of an issue since I'm basically awarding the other guy extra 10/15 points in less than a minute. Yes, I might win, but more often than not I'll just waste my time if I stay.

Btw Firesplitter, I accidentally disliked your post XD It was an accident! Gee.... I think the devs should give us the option to undo like in <the site with the blue logo with the white F symbol>...

yeesh... censors

Edited by BowserLuigi, 25 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

25 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Is "farming the ladder" more important to you than the people you're playing?

...That's just sad.  :huh:

Edited by RobRatt, 25 July 2016 - 12:53 PM.

25 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

Think about it like this, IF you had the most horrible hand in the world, that you could not do anything with, no sycamores, Ns or any supporters, No Ultra balls and whiff a draw supporter with a shyamin(assuming you had an ultra ball) would you sit there for 10 minutes getting your (cant say the word) kicked fighting a loosing battle, or just forfeit and find a new one which you could possibly win or loose depending on your opening hand

25 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Firesplitter

Junior Trainer

• Firesplitter

Not really. They aren't contradictional most of the time as I know that 90-99% of the players I play against are playing for that very reason as well. I think my responses so far should have made that clear as I happily stay to help people do dailies if they ask me to or if I play against someone I know want to play the game to the end, but as the majority of people I play against in versus just play ladder to farm points for ladder (as those are often the most active players in versus) it is the best approach to please people and to reach the goal of finishing the ladder so that I can play tournaments, which is where people play to play card games instead of donking one another with inconsistent fast win decks.).

I agree that it is sad that the game plays that way, but that is how it is and I would open a fix to this with open arms that doesn't include punishing people for quitting with legitimely unwinable hands in otherwise fine decks.