Producer's Letter: New v2.32 Play Experience Discussion

Patching

• Please log in to reply

04 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

DonbranFL

Senior Trainer

• DonbranFL

I'm not sure why so many people are complaining before the new mechanics are even playable. Even if drag/drop adds a few seconds to gameplay, at least it keeps mistakes from being made. And the time you waste there you make up by having so much easily viewable. I love the changes to how quickly you can see everything and clearing up the clutter.

The reason you spread prize cards out IRL os so your opponet can always know how many are left. If there's a counter, there's absolutely no reason to have them spread out online.  

For those of us that have been playing IRL for years, the strictly enforced layouts have become a part of how we play, and the physical data of the prizes being spread out feels right, versus reading a number and seeing how many you have left. It trades room on the board for something completely useless (the deckbox) for an important simulation feature. Ruining the simulation of an actual game takes the back seat when compared to extending gameplay time for animations and drag-and-drop mechanics, however.

Edited by TPCi_Samhayne, 04 November 2015 - 08:58 PM.
removed the insults

TCGO Tournament Game W/L Record: 207-37 (5.59 Ratio)

TCGO Tournament Trophies: 11 Bronze - 14 Silver - 57 Gold

04 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

Regarding Drag 'n Drop, honestly in most cases it is the same two clicks.  Click on Pokémon Center Lady, click on which Pokémon to apply it to, for example.  Sure, there are some actions that were previously a single click that are now two - but those single clicks were "fraught with peril" in that an accidental click could mean a misplay. 

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

04 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

bulbasaur32277

Elite Trainer

• bulbasaur32277

Bulbasaur is in the house. Me personally, I turn the animation off. I liked it when i first started but as time pass and you get more experience it does slow the game down. But I do approve of disabling the animation if what i think is going to happen will happen. You said in your letter:

"There is no longer the option to disable animations. This not only helps to reduce overall complexity to support the game and reduce the possibility of gameplay bugs, but it also keeps the experience consistent for anyone watching the game, be it streamed, recorded or viewed live".  

So I'm getting the feeling that we may have spectator mode now which is something I would LOVE to see. If that's the case then I completely agree with not having a choice to turn animation off because that would effect the viewers watching. Also it seems like you are hinting the ability to record matches and stream them somehow. So maybe they are leaning toward official real life tournaments being held online. That would be awesome for those who cant travel. I'm just speculating. I sure hope tournament sizes increase though instead of just 8. That would be great! Also please fix the ranking system where its not whoever grind the most get to be on top but based on skill. Like an Elo rating or something like they do in chess. 

P.S.: The drag and drop feature is fine. You don't waste that much time dragging the mouse across the screen unless you never used a mouse before. 

Edited by bulbasaur32277, 04 November 2015 - 09:11 PM.

[SIZE=4]#1 Bulbasaur in the world! :cool:
IRL-Broke :(
[/SIZE]

04 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

DonbranFL

Senior Trainer

• DonbranFL

Regarding Drag 'n Drop, honestly in most cases it is the same two clicks.  Click on Pokémon Center Lady, click on which Pokémon to apply it to, for example.  Sure, there are some actions that were previously a single click that are now two - but those single clicks were "fraught with peril" in that an accidental click could mean a misplay. 

The big concern is the movement time in which you would use multiple battle compressors, trainers mails, ultra/level balls, etc. in a turn and the effect that'll have in the ladder, when we're trying to reach that insane 2000 points with something besides Shiftry (since that deck will be assuredly unplayable with turns already upwards of 5-6 minutes).

04 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

DonbranFL

Senior Trainer

• DonbranFL

Like an Emo rating or something like they do in chess. 

ELO, not EMO ahaha. Silly bulba and his auto-correct.

I agree, I would make a lot of sacrifices for annoying things if that brought around a better viewing, laddering, and tournament experience (bigger, better, faster, stronger, all that good stuff). Even if it took a toll on the PVP section of the board, the reason a lot of us feel compelled to play there is the lack of a good tournament online.

04 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Just hoping they do not remove full ENERGY card images and only have simple energy icons.

People with High-End Computer can enable the new graphics settings, while people with low-end computers can disable the new graphical setting

With the Animations being disable... The major performance will remain decreased for low end computers. This need to be reviewed.

Edited by sterlingW, 04 November 2015 - 09:21 PM.

Pokemon Trading Card Online Early Closed Beta Tester

Pokemon Trading Card  Favorite Game Style : Unlimited Format

From Pokemon TCGO (Flash Player) Beta Test to Pokemon TCGO (Unity 3D) Beta Test

04 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

trixm

Rookie Trainer

• trixm
  • "Gameplay animations can no longer be disabled"

This whole patch is messed up but that is the worst thing you guys could have done. That time adds up and by the end of the week you might have spent a couple hours of your life watching the same animations over and over again. I think I might go insane. I disabled animations the day I downloaded ptcgo and never looked back.. 3 years ago. I can't even watch streamers who have that on, I get so impatient. This is a horrible move.

04 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

• "Gameplay animations can no longer be disabled"

This whole patch is messed up but that is the worst thing you guys could have done. That time adds up and by the end of the week you might have spent a couple hours of your life watching the same animations over and over again. I think I might go insane. I disabled animations the day I downloaded ptcgo and never looked back.. 3 years ago. I can't even watch streamers who have that on, I get so impatient. This is a horrible move.

This will no doubt increase crashes chances during game play for people that can`t handle that much with their computers. I believe this part going be a major concern to the player base.

Edited by sterlingW, 04 November 2015 - 09:26 PM.

04 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

semeai

Veteran Trainer

• semeai

i'm sorry but this update seems to be just ptcgo telling us we have to do everything their way. we get no options. what if i liked the speed i get from click play regardless of the errors i make? i would rather make those errors and even lose a tournament match then be forced to drag and drop EVERY MATCH. and what if i don't want animations? what if i don't care about all that and want to just play the game the way i want? people have different opinions and different styles, and the choice of ptcgo is to just say "no do it our way"?

also the fact that a match doesn't end until the opponent finishes their turn is absurd. it doesn't even mirror the real game because in real life you just scoop and the match ends right there. so you want to mimic the real game with undos but dont want to mimic the real game with prizes, resigns, discard/deck positions? unbelievable.

04 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Some options like Damage counter should have option.

There should be ability to pick a way to play.

Not play the way that one person says.

Turning Classic Damage Counter or New damage Counter feature.

Just like the Drag the Card Feature...

We should have the option of playing the Classic TCGO Style (Were you do not only need to drag to place)

Players should not have to suffer extended time gameplay

Some of these feature without a choice would create a major negative reaction...

Once these thing implemented...The things will more likely not get reserved.

Not logical someone want to have someone extend the Game time. just to have the graphical animation always enable.

Edited by sterlingW, 04 November 2015 - 09:43 PM.

04 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

wwhsdjhudj

Veteran Trainer

• wwhsdjhudj

Looks like its out! looks great, can't wait to play  :)

Level 30

57% Complete

Here to help those who need it 

04 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

photon2

Rookie Trainer

• photon2

My brother, who is disabled, cannot play the game anymore because of the new drag and drop controls. He can barely move his hands but was able to barely play this, but could. This was one of the only video games he can play anymore. His hands aren't strong enough to click and drag. really upset about this. 

04 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

Simplyobsessed

Senior Trainer

• Simplyobsessed

Just played my first game, this is awful. Hard to use, change it back - really please.

04 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

RhapsodyDragon

Rookie Trainer

• RhapsodyDragon

Thats very sad. I miss the old controls..

04 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Just played my first game, this is awful. Hard to use, change it back - really please.

How long the match took with more clicking?

The Drag feature also remove some accessibility for disabled players  or slow players Does impact more than non disabled players..

The old game play style - That a major component for disabled people which now have drastically changed.

Edited by sterlingW, 04 November 2015 - 10:00 PM.

04 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

LeeElise

Rookie Trainer

• LeeElise

This update is borderline embarrassing. Why so much wasted space displaying the wooden table? Prize cards in real life are all displayed...if you're playing in tournaments they make sure all 6 are visible. Isn't the goal to mimic the actual TCG? Why is the coin bigger than my discard pile. Why are they next to each other? When all learn to play trainer kits come with a mat template which shows them above one another?

Energy cards magically disappearing when attached to become a symbol on the lower left? Nothing even needs to be said about that one.

Why is the deck box such a prominent feature on the playing field? There seems to be tons of room on the table for it. 

The animations and drag and drop options  NEED to be reinstated. It's fine to require it in the trainer challenges and when starting out, but it gets really annoying real fast.

I played this game so much, spent most of my free time on it, logging in today to see this was really disappointing. Don't even feel like playing it

04 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

The drop-and-drop isn't strictly necessary.  You have the option of clicking twice--once to select the card from your hand and again to play it.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

04 November 2015 - 10:09 PM

Simplyobsessed

Senior Trainer

• Simplyobsessed

Everything seems really bad quality, as the resolution of everything been brought down?

04 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Energy cards should shown like Real Life Pokemon TCG...Pokemon TCGO should have the option for that 

Edited by sterlingW, 04 November 2015 - 10:12 PM.

04 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

The single damage counter is okay, but the ones on your opponent's pokemon are upside-down and there's no info box that appears when you hover, so you have to right-click zoom if you want to read them or see its remaining HP.

Edited by graywh, 04 November 2015 - 10:25 PM.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patching