ZevKyogre

The WORST theme deck to use

ZevKyogre

The absolute worst deck to use is the Latios / Latias starter set, known as Eon Strike.

Oh dear lord.

The only good cards are Latios / Latias, but they need Psychic energies up the wazoo. And semi-decent trainers. But no - you get Acro bikes. And that's it.

I can''t even beat the gold trainers on one start challenge.

And the other basics all require copious amounts of energy cards, and I'm really upset.

Anyone have any luck with this deck, or other starter decks? (Granted, the Latis were okay for being Psychic pokemon for the versus challenges involving them until I got Gengar-EX, but the rest of it is pitiful.)

Anyone have any other horrid decks they'd like to share, or recommend against getting?

Wolfman_11

I don't see that deck in the store. How did you get it, from a tin?

ZevKyogre

No, (if I'm allowed to post this): Amazon.
The item is properly identified as "XY Trainer Kit: Latias and Latios"
(TCGO notes it as Eon Strike.)

I bought it to show my nephews' friends how to play - in a very basic form (they saw me doing ther battles and were intrigued.)

Edited by ZevKyogre

phalanx1337

that nightfall deck was near impossible to do in trainer challenge

• Upvote 1

LynnPhang

I couldn't do rallying cry -.-

00dragonite00

I bought the froakie starter deck (for one of the item cards only found in it, idr which one) and that deck is unplayable, imo.

Edited by 00dragonite00

ZevKyogre

I bought the froakie starter deck (for one of the item cards only found in it, idr which one) and that deck is unplayable, imo.

The crushing hammer was given - two of them - with the Kalos Starter sets.

00dragonite00

The crushing hammer was given - two of them - with the Kalos Starter sets.

The issue was that I needed two more of them.

PKTyrantrum

I had a lot of trouble trying to use the Meowstic deck. I squeaked by a few wins with it but boy was it frustrating.

Edited by PKTyrantrum
  • Upvote 1

PlatinumDude

I had a lot of trouble trying to use the Meowstic deck. A squeaked by a few wins with it but boy was it frustrating.

Same here. I don't really get the point of having Buizel and Skrelp in there without any of their evolved forms. Having Dragalge in this deck would have helped big-time, too.

ironcladmerc

I think the new theme deck Burning Spark is pretty crappy. I usually lose with it in trainer challenge, the basic blue/red/green decks seem much better. I guess that 's why the initials of the deck are **. cause it is a ** deck. Only good for learning to play the game for young kids.

PlatinumDude

I think the new theme deck Burning Spark is pretty crappy. I usually lose with it in trainer challenge, the basic blue/red/green decks seem much better. I guess that 's why the initials of the deck are **. cause it is **** deck. Only good for learning to play the game for young kids.

People mainly get that deck for Magnezone, a good card to use with Breakthrough's Raikou. But yeah, I can see why this deck isn't that good; it goes through energy fast, even moreso than the Noivern deck.

ZevKyogre

Because you aren't using it properly.

I assume you are easing into it, playing it on easy settings. DON'T.
Raichu's benefit is that it hits EXs quite A LOT. EXs will only appear on the hardest settings of city championships.

Try and use it there, report back.

phalanx1337

Burning spark is terrible, Noivern one isn't

Firesplitter

Burning Spark is pretty horrible, yes. It is by far not the worst though. But one of the worst recent ones. The Noivern deck is wonderful though! My third favorite deck to use after Dark Hammer and Stone Heart (which are pretty much tied)! It feels weird that they released one stronk deck and one... Not that strong deck in the same set... :/

It has some redeemable factor due to it being a decent anti-EX deck. However, that is worthless during Versus (of lesser importance in this thread), and is a limited appeal in Trainer Challenge as I would rather play Stone Heart or Iron Tide any day over Burning Spark for EX hate as those decks are legitimely playable even if the opponent doesn't play an EX (which is of mayor importance in this thread).

The by far worst one must be Wigglytuff & Bisharp deck... (if playable in Trainer Challenge, have not bothered to get it as it's weaksauce with extra weakness), if not, Eon Strike. Both have the same horrible feature of having several unfinished evolution lines (which is what makes Burning Spark such a mediocre deck as well). To top it off, the deck's aces are very weak even by theme deck standards.

tdarkchylde

Burning Spark's only redeeming factor is that it's a guaranteed way to get a Magnezone, and even that doesn't help its worth a lot. The incomplete Fire evolution lines really, really drag it down.

I've also found Resilient Life to be very suboptimal - lots of basics without their evolution lines especially on the Psychic side, and not nearly enough draw power. The saving grace is that Xerneas can thin the deck pretty well to make the low draw power slightly less of a handicap, and Mr. Mime can hit surprisingly hard for a cleric. You'll still be forfeiting a fair bit from dead opening draws in Trainer Challenges, though.

KTed

The worst Deck? Daybreak from HS-Undaunted. If you don't get muk early, you lose.

• Upvote 1

Xensor

i got the destruction deck from the shop as my first theme deck from the poke game shop. i have to say i win just about each game i played. its not really about the cards tho. this game is about being smarter then the opponent. see my yvetal is weak against electric and fairies (dark vs fairies and some electric is bad). the one move it has if it is tails you can not move which lucky in the trainer challenge it usually a good thing. half the pokemons can not do much damage to a 130 hp pokemon like yvetal. I also have used the other basic decks. i got the yellow and mental pack when i signed up tho. I just bought the night stick theme deck with the noivent pokemon it.

sorry if i didn't spell the pokemon names to good. Couldn't remember the names spelling by heart.

LordCharizardX

Eon Strike has got to be THE WORST I've seen.

Can't remember its name but the one with Chanelure is among my favorites to play.

Xensor

last one is near impossible with any deck cause it won't give you nothing good to use and its kinda stupid how that is. it gives you barely any energy or trainers. make coins mostly tails. which i know in real life half the stuff it does doesn't even come close to happening.

GoldZero

I've also found Resilient Life to be very suboptimal - lots of basics without their evolution lines especially on the Psychic side, and not nearly enough draw power. The saving grace is that Xerneas can thin the deck pretty well to make the low draw power slightly less of a handicap, and Mr. Mime can hit surprisingly hard for a cleric. You'll still be forfeiting a fair bit from dead opening draws in Trainer Challenges, though.

This. If you don't open with Xerneas, reset. Night Hunter is so bad that I still never got the pack from it.

Metleon8

The only deck (that I have) that I've had problems with is Enchanted Echo. The Eeveelutions are good, but most of the other pokemon are bad. And the trainers are absolutely terrible. I don't think maintenance should be in any deck, even ones that use archie's and Maxie's.

seminc

Nightfall, no question. Back in the days of the HGSS-DRX Trainer Challenge it was better, but with the current power ramp? No.

The only time I can win a game in TC is when I get a Metagross line start and power through everything (which happens about every 12 games)

Fields_Heron

I bought Plasma Shadow Theme Deck when it used to be at shop in PTCGO. If I don't start with Giratina, I used to lose everytime I played this deck in versus, eventhough it needs 3 energies to attack. lol

olafviking

i still say all these decks are still better then the starter decks. thoes theme decks are not realy usefule for even the supporters.

personaly i think the fighting dark deck with pancham is terrible for the chalanges because its not consistant as a deck. almost imposible to consistantly get it