harshu

New Player Guide !

harshu

New Player Guide !

:)

1.    Introduction

Well First thing is, introduction to this thread. I have made this thread solely for helping new players. The thread is similar to what Alexmanectric one of the Greatest player in PTCGO. She isn't active on the game anymore. But she had made some guides. I felt the need of this deck, because new players always need help :) So why not make a place where they can actually get help. Alexmanectric has made some guides on how to use the forum sections. I am making a guide for new players which includes the help on both, PTCGO and Forums. I would like to appreciate and thank Alexmanectric for her guides and work and all the contribution to PTCGO.

Special thanks to - kkbox, awesome_guy, PokemasterTz, Alexmanectric and many other people who have helped me in this game and their support. :)

2.    Contents

Well lets move to the contents of the guide

1.  Introduction
  2. Contents
  3. General Guidelines on how to use the Guide
  4. Getting Started in the game & forums !
  5. Help with the forums
  6. How to get better at Playing
  7. Help with Trading
  8. Help at PTCGO

3.  General Guidelines on how to use the Guide

To anyone who is using this guide. Some good instructions on how to use it efficiently. But the question is how to use the guide efficiently :huh:  ? Well the answer is below ;)

To start with, Please read the introduction to know what this is all about. After that, to use this guide efficiently, Use the rule, First Things First - which means, read the part of the thread which you really need help with. Like suppose, you are a new player, and need help with trading, go to the trading part of the guide. That way you know what you are doing and save time. For a totally new player, I recommend, to read the guide in up to down order, bit by bit . I mean don't go and read the whole guide in one go. It will take more time, then it will take when you read section by section. The guide is divided in the sections as efficiently as I could.

The Guide is solely for the help of new players and only focuses on how to make them aware of the PTCGO Community and the PTCGO Game :)

I think this was enough to make you understand on how the guide should be used efficiently.

4.  Getting Started in the Game & Forums !

Well here we are gonna discuss on how a very new player, who isn't expected to know even the basics of the game. This will help you at that place.

Firstly, whenever you are starting the game and you know nothing about the game, not even how to play. Then the first time you login in the game, there will be an automatic tutorial, which is made by the Development Team to help new players. You can't skip the starting 3 steps of the Tutorial ! Well if you complete the full tutorial, I am pretty sure, you will learn on how to play the game and how to use its different features :) But if you still need help with RULES click on the link below, to reach the Official TCG Rule Book.

Official TCG Rule Book - assets22.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/rulebook/xy4-rulebook-en.pdf

This is how you will start the game. After you have finished the tutorial, you must finish the Trainer Challenge completely as soon as you can. Without finishing it, you would struggle to play the game. Finishing all the 3 leagues give you prizes. And also an amazing feature, on the home screen first when you login, you will see a jumping Poke-Ball, in the right bottom side of the screen. Click on it and you will see that you got tokens, tickets and after 5 days a booster pack for free ! The first week, you get 5 Booster packs for free on the 3rd day and after that it will turn to after 5 days again. You can only get this LOGIN Bonus once a day. So don't forget to Login ! Well we just finished on the basics of the starting days of a new player in the game.

Now lets move on to the forums !

How to start in the forums. Well if you are reading this, I guess you already started using the forums. Forums is a great place and a crucial part of this growing Pokemon Community. We have all kinds of facilities here. But First thing to start with the forums is, read the rules of the Forums. The following link will take you to the Pokemon Forum Rules - forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Please do read these rules and you will automatically start understand about the forums. Forums are a great place for the game and other sections where the Pokemon Community interacts. These forums are very well divided into broad sections where you can search for what type of threads you are looking for. I will explain some of the important Sections in the section - Help with the forums.

5. Help With the Forums

As mentioned in the previous Section, I expect that you have already read the rules of the Forums, if not, you must read them now (Better late then never). After reading the rules, here are some basic rules, you must obey. They have been mentioned in the Forum rules, but it is better to mention them again.

• Be Polite always and never be rude to anyone. Every argument can be settled in a friendly way. We also have moderators for our support. Always obey them. Whatever they say is to maintain peace and harmony on the forums.
  • Always provide right information. Double check whether the information you are providing is relevant to the topic and correct.
  • Be sure to organize your posts and also try to maintain your topics in organized way in the forums( A Deck List thread should be in Deck Construction Section and not in Player VS Player)
  • Never Spam in the forums. It doesn't give good impression of yours when you spam in the forums, on addition to that it is against the rules of the forums.
  • Be Friendly to all and always end on a polite note when commenting in a sensitive thread.

The Above rules do explain the basic conduct of a player on the forums. Now lets move to and see how to use the forums and their sections and what are they all about !

As Mentioned in short in the previous section, There are different sections in the Forums organized very well. So let us know more about them and how to use them.

• Pokemon Online Announcements - This is place where you can know about everything about the game you play. All the information is posted by Developers and Moderators which is 100% True and correct. So do visit this section regularly.
  • Player VS Player - This is the place where all kinds of Player hosted tournaments and queries related to the matches are Put up. There are some helpful threads for new players in this section as well. A well brought up guide by Alexmanectric is Pinned on the top on how to use that section. Please read that thread called as PVP Discussion Guide - forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/17992-pvp-discussion-guide/
  • Deck Construction - This is a place where all people discuss about some of the greatest decks in history, new Competitive decks and queries about certain cards can also be put up here. This is a great place for a player to start for his decks. Threads to help new players can also be found here.
  • In Game Item Exchange - This is the place to co-ordinate the flow of trades on a larger scale in the Pokemon Community. You will find many group of traders (Called as trading Company) who trade their cards for fixed number of packs. If you are comfortable with this, go ahead. We have another great guide on how to use this section by AlexManectric, called as Online Trading Zone : Guide - forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/17993-online-trading-zone-guide/
  • Game Feed Back - This is a place where people suggest new things about the game, they want to see. Great discussions about such suggestions takes place, and this is an important part of the forums.
  • Pokemon TCG Online Support - This section has further to sections, one (Report Game bugs) is used for reporting game bugs and how to recreate them. Other players if they know about these bugs, contribute to those threads, while the other one is related to account problems such as cards from the collection are gone, tokens not appearing, cannot login and such kind of threads exist here. This a very good tool, for players to get their things sorted out.
  • General Pokemon Discussion is all about the other things that you want to interact with the Pokemon Community !

Well we just finished up on how to use the Forums.

6.  How to get better at Playing

Well I must confess, I am not a very good player. But Certainly more experienced player suggested me these tips and collected them all together here.

Tips -

1. Firstly complete the trainer challenge, all 3 leagues with 4 starts will earn you around 45 Booster Packs (Locked) so you must open them and if lucky you will get great Pokemon EX Cards, which are really good.
  2. For Deck making, we have a thread in Deck Construction called as - The Best Decks in TCG - ( forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/ ) is a great thread, where many decks have been posted by one of the most experienced players.
  3. Now, to the in-game, Complete your Daily Challenges daily and regularly. This will help you very much. For the starting do buy locked packs from the shop to increase your collection. Don't join the tournaments too soon, until you have a very good deck.
  4. A new addition that is VS Ladder being introduced provides a better chance to get stuff faster. Be sure you complete every VS Ladder, before it rotates.
  5. Always play fair :) Its a primary trait of a good player.
  6. Skills is an important part of the game. Practice in PVP as hard as you can. You are bound to improve.
  7. Well another addition, If you need help with making a new Deck, please read the Deck Making Guide on the Second Post First Page of -> The Best Decks in TCG - forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/?p=353495
  8. Another Great Guide for getting Better at playing made by Pale-Rider88 is good. Some good tips for a match and other tips to improve your game. The guide is --> Tips to be a better TCGO Player - forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/33116-tips-to-be-a-better-tcgo-player/
  9. Another thread by Littledarkfury, has been made --> How to build a competitive deck with LDF - (forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/39546-how-to-build-a-competitive-deck-with-ldf/ ). This can help in deck making as well. Hope this all helps.

I think following these tips, your game will improve.

7.  Help with Trading

Another important aspect of the game is trading. Again I am not the best at trading. I also direct you to Zaft Academy for trading in depth. But let us discuss, about how some of the important aspects of trading can govern your collection which is indeed important for a player.

Some precautions and tips -

1. You must have seen that there are price list of almost all cards in the In-game item exchange on the front page of companies. Refer to any one of them for your prices and use them as reference. They are a great tool. If you have grown experienced enough, its time for you to decide values. The Basic Principle, how trading companies decide value, is by observing the public trades' market. Now its your turn. Search the card whose price you want to know. Observe at least 10 trades related to that card. And take the average of them deciding the card's value.
  2. Generally Opening Trade able packs that you can get from codes, Tournaments and Winner's wheel PVP match are seen worse to open rather than trading them. So I suggest trading with them, but its all your choice.
  3. If you want to know the price of cards, that you can't determine from public trades, ask from players on the trade lobby. And then find out the appropriate price. Trading at Public, is usually cheaper. But that doesn't mean you will post an offer for asking a Card which is worth 10 packs and you are giving 5. This is wrong.
  4. ALWAYS TRADE FAIR. A short range of 20% Profit is acceptable, but more than that is really a bad trade. Please don't do bad trades.
  5. Great guide for trading by PokemasterTz is there on the Forums. It would help you alot. The Guide is --> Ten easy Tips : PTCGO Trading - forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/33171-ten-easy-tips-ptcgo-trading/

This all I know about trading.

8.  Help at PTCGO

Simply, this section is on how to get help from the Pokemon Staff if you are in trouble. So we have a place - Support Portal (support.pokemon.com). This is a place where you can have solutions to almost all problems. We also have 2 sections in Pokemon Online Support Section explained in previous sections. These are helpful as well.

Well this was all I felt was essential for a new player to know :). I hope it is useful for new players !

If I left something, or anything needs correction, feel free to post. Your input will be appreciated.

May the Pokemon Community keep rising !

Regards,

Harshu

Edited by harshu
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

harshu

If this thread could get a sticky status, it would be good. :)

Suggestions are welcomed :)

Edgeman17

This is great.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

harshu

This is great.

Thanks edgeman, I hope I didn't miss anything :)

awesome_guy

great thread :) hope it gets stickied..

also it'd be a great supplement to alexmanectric's threads in the other section for trainer challenge

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

MrKunimitsu

Unpopular opinions time o:

Honestly, if you're someone who's more patient and good at trading, it's much better to open packs vs. selling them. With enough skill and patience in trades you can take commons and get decent EXes out of them. For example: Through sequential trades (all of which are arguably fair trades) over a couple days I managed to go from an FF non-holo/foil/anything Noibat to a reg Mega Lucario EX (and this was back when it was ~3 packs instead of ~2)

Also I'm one of the very few people who says that before you buy packs you should buy Theme Decks from the shop. To be specific, the Dark Hammer deck (pretty much everyone agrees it's the best theme deck lol), for a few reasons:

-It gives some more really important staple cards from the get go

-It's actually pretty good relative to the other theme decks so you'll be able to do Trainer Challenge more easily

-Since there is a Theme Deck mode and occasional Theme Deck tours where you can get packs, having this deck will allow you to do more effective pack grinding early on (which will substantially help your collection since these packs are unlocked)

Edited by MrKunimitsu
  • Upvote 1

harshu

Unpopular opinions time o:

Honestly, if you're someone who's more patient and good at trading, it's much better to open packs vs. selling them. With enough skill and patience in trades you can take commons and get decent EXes out of them. For example: Through sequential trades (all of which are arguably fair trades) over a couple days I managed to go from an FF non-holo/foil/anything Noibat to a reg Mega Lucario EX (and this was back when it was ~3 packs instead of ~2)

Also I'm one of the very few people who says that before you buy packs you should buy Theme Decks from the shop. To be specific, the Dark Hammer deck (pretty much everyone agrees it's the best theme deck lol), for a few reasons:

-It gives some more really important staple cards from the get go

-It's actually pretty good relative to the other theme decks so you'll be able to do Trainer Challenge more easily

-Since there is a Theme Deck mode and occasional Theme Deck tours where you can get packs, having this deck will allow you to do more effective pack grinding early on (which will substantially help your collection since these packs are unlocked)

Pretty much agreed to what you say ! But it depends on player to player. While one of my friend is so lucky with packs, that the first pack he opened of Next Destinies when they released, he pulled a Mewtwo EX FA ! Come on... While if you see me, I haven't been able to pull even an EX from 95 NXD packs (most were 5 card packs). So it really depends. And if we see on a large scale, people do suggest that trading is better, but it depends on the player.

For the second part you told, its perfect ! Theme decks do provide a playset of usable cards and staples.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

harshu

Its been a very long time. But I really wanted this thread to get pinned. So it doesn't wash away down. Since this is a very good source for players to get help. I consider it a very good way to help my fellow new players. So, if moderators/staff could pin this thread. It would be really helpful for new players :)

Thanks for reading and considering :)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

harshu

Added some more tips given by my Friends. Its a very humble request. But if this topic could be pinned ? I really don't want it to lose it somewhere. It is beneficial for new players !

Thanks for hearing me :)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Mod_Poplar

Hi harshu!

We certainly appreciate the time taken to create this helpful thread. :) While we have passed along your request for this thread to be stickied, we cannot provide any more updates past that for now. I would recommend continuing to add to it as you see fit and sharing it around to users who could benefit from it.

Thanks for your understanding!

harshu

Hi harshu!

We certainly appreciate the time taken to create this helpful thread. :) While we have passed along your request for this thread to be stickied, we cannot provide any more updates past that for now. I would recommend continuing to add to it as you see fit and sharing it around to users who could benefit from it.

Thanks for your understanding!

Thanks for such a good news :) Me and my friends have put alot of effort in here. And we will continue to work and improve this guide :)

Thanks a lot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

pokemasterTz

Hey Harshu, I think this is a great thread and I agree it should be stickied! However, there's a few things i would like to point out! first of all, consider adding a section on deck-building! I think going through a step by step process of how to build a deck would be really beneficial to new players! I see new players build a deck with absolutely no strategy all the time, and I think telling them what staples they should include, what the energy/trainer/Pokemon ratio should roughly be, how to decide on a strategy, what techs to include etc. would be really cool! your best decks in the tcg thread is sweet, and is great for helping new players with their decks, but generally, new player decks have a few common flaws and can always be improved with a few general tips you can add on deck building. Also, there's a few spelling/grammar mistakes :P  If theirs anything wrong about what I have said, please correct it!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

harshu

Hey Harshu, I think this is a great thread and I agree it should be stickied! However, there's a few things i would like to point out! first of all, consider adding a section on deck-building! I think going through a step by step process of how to build a deck would be really beneficial to new players! I see new players build a deck with absolutely no strategy all the time, and I think telling them what staples they should include, what the energy/trainer/Pokemon ratio should roughly be, how to decide on a strategy, what techs to include etc. would be really cool! your best decks in the tcg thread is sweet, and is great for helping new players with their decks, but generally, new player decks have a few common flaws and can always be improved with a few general tips you can add on deck building. Also, there's a few spelling/grammar mistakes :P  If theirs anything wrong about what I have said, please correct it!

Haha thanks for a lovely feedback. I will try adding a section there, and sorry for those mistakes. I had sit there on the computer for 4-5 hours thinking and making the post, that made my head a bit roasted lol. So those mistakes, seem to reflect my mental state at that time :D

Nevertheless, I am going to add the Deck Building Section. Maybe I will get it ready by tomorrow :)

Have a nice day and thanks :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

pokemasterTz

Haha thanks for a lovely feedback. I will try adding a section there, and sorry for those mistakes. I had sit there on the computer for 4-5 hours thinking and making the post, that made my head a bit roasted lol. So those mistakes, seem to reflect my mental state at that time :D

Nevertheless, I am going to add the Deck Building Section. Maybe I will get it ready by tomorrow :)

Have a nice day and thanks :)

5 hours sounds insane! Thanks a lot for considering my feedback and I hope you have a nice day as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

harshu

Shall I make the Deck Building Guide in the thread --> Best Decks in TCG ? It would be much better to have a guide for it there ? What do you think ?

Changes --> Added a link to the TCG Rule book .

Corrected as many spelling/grammar errors, as many I found.

Added more information and tips to some sections :)

Edited by harshu
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

pokemasterTz

Shall I make the Deck Building Guide in the thread --> Best Decks in TCG ? It would be much better to have a guide for it there ? What do you think ?

Changes --> Added a link to the TCG Rule book .

Corrected as many spelling/grammar errors, as many I found.

Added more information and tips to some sections :)

Yeah. I think that's what you should do. But mention it in here too!

harshu

Yeah. I think that's what you should do. But mention it in here too!

Mentioning it here will make it more larger. I would just give a small description here and post a link in that section, so people can get there and get some tips :)

Edited by harshu
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

pokemasterTz

Also add this thread in your signature!

pokemasterTz

Mentioning it here will make it more larger. I would just give a small description here and post a link in that section, so people can get there and get some tips   :blink:

Yeah, that's what I meant by mentioning it, just give a link, and give a quick description. :)

harshu

Also add this thread in your signature!

Alright :D though I can't add more lines :( Maybe I will remove some lines :(

Yeah, that's what I meant by mentioning it, just give a link, and give a quick description. :)

Yep, so I am on my way to make a deck making guide there :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BlueStream

No offence, but a good chunk of these tips are obvious... Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a guide for players who are not new? Just my thoughts.

harshu

No offence, but a good chunk of these tips are obvious... Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a guide for players who are not new? Just my thoughts.

Tips on players who are not new ?? It isn't needed I guess. And those Chunk of tips you are talking about aren't obvious for the new players :) I have seen many players asking these questions, from the time I have joined this game, including my questions and queries.

About players who are not new, do you really think we need a guide ? I don't think so, Players gradually learn many things by communication and other things but it takes time. But players who are not new, already know most of the things, so I don't feel there should be a guide for those players, because they already know all the things.

I hope you understand my point of view :)

Have a nice day and thanks for your suggestions :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BlueStream

About players who are not new, do you really think we need a guide?

Actually, yes, we probably do. Perhaps you could start with predicting the metagame, play-testing decks, how to make a strong custom deck without netdecking, how to counter some of the netdecks, how to combo correctly, preventing mistakes... There's plenty to cover for old players too. I mean, even I was there during the pre-download beta, but I could only tinker with theme decks at the time, and I just got back on the game so...

I mean, I could make a decent deck, but it still has flaws because there are cards I'm missing and whatnot.

Edited by BlueStream

harshu

Actually, yes, we probably do. Perhaps you could start with predicting the metagame, play-testing decks, how to make a strong custom deck without netdecking, how to counter some of the netdecks, how to combo correctly, preventing mistakes... There's plenty to cover for old players too. I mean, even I was there during the pre-download beta, but I could only tinker with theme decks at the time, and I just got back on the game so...

I mean, I could make a decent deck, but it still has flaws because there are cards I'm missing and whatnot.

Well that is an aspect of game everyone learns with experience. Making a deck simply would be useless, because I know, not even 5 % of player will use it ! Its all the trick of experience. I never had a guide, neither did those great players that have been famous here. They learnt and battling them makes others learn. A Guide for old players would still remain meaningless, because if you have problems on solving the playing and prevent mistakes. I had mentioned the in the Guide about a thread called Zaft Academy, If only you had read the guide, I mentioned there, that elite players try tom improve the skills of players who need help. And that does fulfill the purpose of what you are asking for. Another Guide, which just lies somewhere on the forums, would waste my time :( As such I do direct you to Zaft Academy, there is a link in the guide, click on it to reach there :) Elite players teach others :)

Also quoting only 1 line and answering in your comment seems, you were not satisfied by the answers I gave or you didn't had the answers to the questions I asked !

Just read my previous comment, I am just elaborating in this to make you satisfy that such a guide would only go in trash !

I hope you understand and have a nice day :)

Edited by harshu
  • Downvote 1

Brio97

Great thread. I want to share a good tip for new players. If you finish the tutorial, you will get a pack with 100% to get an EX. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1