Tag Team Matches.

• Please log in to reply

24 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Walkyure

Rookie Trainer

• Walkyure

I wish we could play with friends and grind some tokens at the same time, since friend battles do not give you any. Also, it would be awesome to play in a 2v2 match.

Edited by Walkyure, 24 January 2015 - 08:20 PM.

24 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

MaSkullzOnFire

Elite Trainer

• MaSkullzOnFire

2 vs. 2 matches would never work. In fact it's impossible. But say it was possible, how would you play the match?

And grinding tokens is pretty much cheating which can get you banned from the game.

YouTube Channel: N7 117

25 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

Walkyure

Rookie Trainer

• Walkyure

Let me see if I understand your point. "Grinding is cheating", but we earn tokens after each match we play. Then, why we do not, in friend's battle? People are grinding tokens even by playing mini-games in the pokemon game page, and/or receive rewards after every 5mins game in the TCGO.

And the 2v2 matches, there are no exact official rules about that, but it would be interesting if there is any way to play it. I just said that would be fun.

Edited by Walkyure, 25 January 2015 - 04:21 AM.

25 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

Mod_Poplar

• Mod_Poplar

Hello Walkyure,

I'll submit your suggestions to the Dev team and leave your thread open for discussion in the meantime.

As always, we appreciate your input! :)

Moderator Poplar
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Tree puns seem very poplar...

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

25 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

Stratadrake

Expert Trainer

• Stratadrake

Friend matches could at least give you the minimum 1 token reward for playing perhaps?  That is what Trainer Challenge matches (y'know, against the computer) and random VS (ignoring tokens for winning and bonus wheel spin) do already.  Obviously playtesting matches aren't eligible for rewards, but....

25 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

zeemar

Senior Trainer

• zeemar

2v2 matches wouldn't be impossible but what would be better is a free for all match, where it's basically the exact same thing as a regular match but you can choose to attack any person you want. Some things would be difficult are mew's ability, can you use any pokemon's attack or only the one owned by the person you're attacking and yourself? also can you use abilities that do damage to all benched pokemon or just one person's bench pokemon. I guess you could classify it as a 2v2 match like in the actual pokemon games, if one person collects all their prize cards their partner also gets the win.

TCG Player for 5 years

Just here to help out wherever I can

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28171-ex-counters/?hl=counters

25 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Xabalanque

Veteran Trainer

• Xabalanque

2v2 Matches actually WOULDN'T be impossible. In fact, there is a section of the rulebook in the official tcg rules that talks about 2v2 matches. 

During the original Ruby and Sapphire era the TCG tried to experiment with introducing a 2v2 format into the game. While the idea was popular for local leagues, the idea never caught on too much. Basically it was similar to the expanded format, not enough people played it and eventually it fell out of the main focus of the official tcg [which is what I expect will happen to expanded one day]. But the rules for 2v2 are still in the official TCG. Its a format that has been previously sanctioned by the in real life tcg, so in theory this is actually a format that could be introduced online because there is a system of rules that the online tcg could actually follow without having to make up something from scratch

25 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

SamuraiJoe

Senior Trainer

• SamuraiJoe

2v2 Matches actually WOULDN'T be impossible. In fact, there is a section of the rulebook in the official tcg rules that talks about 2v2 matches. 

That is why some older cards contain language that is, at first glance, awkwardly written. For instance, Double Full Heal removed conditions from EACH of your active Pokemon.

25 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

Walkyure, on 24 Jan 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:
Walkyure, on 24 Jan 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:

I wish we could play with friends and grind some tokens at the same time, since friend battles do not give you any. Also, it would be awesome to play in a 2v2 match.

Are you talking about two players versus two other players? This was originally referred to as Team Multi-Play (or something like that). It was introduced towards the end of Wizards of the Coast's time running the Pokémon TCG. It wasn't a major thing; some of the WotC (namely the ones in charge of Pokémon) were working on it as a small project with a lot of feedback from those in the early Professor Program. When WotC failed to win their bid at renewing the license, Nintendo/TPCi (or whatever the equivalent was at the time) seemed to intend on continuing work with it, including releasing the latest rules' revisions for it, but the project seemed to fade into obscurity, perhaps because of the next topic.

There was also a rules variant (alternate format?) for play where each player in a normal, two person game had two Active Pokémon. Your total amount of Pokémon in play remained limited to six and you didn't have the option of having less than two Pokémon Active unless you were down to your last Pokémon. I never really enjoyed this variant much which is probably why I do not remember most things about it; pretty sure you still only had one attack per turn, it is just there would be two Pokémon on each side in the Active slot. I also suspect it is why Team Multi-Play was dropped as even though it was from an official source, it wasn't from the source (TPC in Japan).

MaSkullzOnFire, on 24 Jan 2015 - 3:44 PM, said:

2 vs. 2 matches would never work. In fact it's impossible. But say it was possible, how would you play the match?

And grinding tokens is pretty much cheating which can get you banned from the game.

"Grinding" isn't cheating, unless you're using a very particular (and as far as I am concerned confusing) definition for it. In a game where you can earn something by your actions, "grinding" just means doing so over and over again. If I play a lot of matches in Ranked Mode not because I really feel like playing but just because I want to try to earn some Tokens and Bonus Wheel spins, that can be described as "grinding". Same for if I play the computer over and over again.

This isn't the same as (for example) the recent spree of decks where players would use an effect to return their only Pokémon in play to their hand or deck to end the game in seconds while still getting a bonus spin. That might qualify as "farming", but since I do not play many games where that term is used I am uncertain.

Edited by Otakutron, 25 January 2015 - 07:39 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

01 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

Blackmaster7389

Rookie Trainer

• Blackmaster7389
Tag team matchs would be amazing in fact second city gym does have rules for it, tho the rules may have to be updated with the new cards constantly coming out it not like they don’t already do that with the main rules.

Edited by Blackmaster7389, 01 February 2019 - 07:33 PM.

02 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Tag team matchs would be amazing in fact second city gym does have rules for it, tho the rules may have to be updated with the new cards constantly coming out it not like they don’t already do that with the main rules.

Welcome to the Putsgof. :)

Just a heads up- this thread is a couple of years old, and the forums discourage posting on things that haven't been brought up in over three weeks.

They would be fun, but they'd have to be limited to friend battles or special events.  The game doesn't have enough players to split itself into yet another format without ridiculous wait times- Legacy is already mostly dead.  And yes, it would reqiure some rule updating, and a fair number of discretion calls- something TPCi doesn't like doing for the PTCGO.  Ultimately, I think it's the fact that the game has never been well-designed for alternate game styles that makes 2v2 improbable to be added.

Edited by SuperStone, 03 February 2019 - 11:01 PM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

03 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

Since we experienced a necropost on this thread, I may as well post the semi-official rules for two-player teams duking it out.  Until 2018, you could find official rules for a four-player version of the game in the Play! Pokémon Rules and Formats .pdf on the official Pokemon.com site.  The development of such rules actually goes back to about 2001 or 2002, when WotC had licensed the TCG.  Unfortunately, more recent versions of the document no longer include those rules... but I saved the old rules so I'll copy/paste them below. :)

14.3. Team Battle

The Team Battle format allows two players to participate on a team, each player having one Active Pokémon. This game is played exactly like a regular game of Pokémon except for a few rule changes.

Setup:

• Players sit on opposite sides of the table with the teams positioned diagonally to each other, so each player is facing a member of the opposing team.
• One member of each team participates in a coin flip to determine which team goes first. The winning team then chooses which of its players will go first. The turn sequence starts with the chosen player and then proceeds clockwise around the table, the turn order alternating between teams.
• Each player draws seven cards. Each player places one Active Pokémon and up to four Benched Pokémon. Players then place half as many Prize cards as they would for a single-player game, based on the format styles outlined in Section 11.
• Any player who cannot place an Active Pokémon reveals their hand to all players and declares a mulligan. The opponent across the table from the player may draw one card for the mulligan after both players have placed their Prize cards. If both the player declaring the mulligan and the opponent across the table from that player declare a mulligan, both players shuffle and set up again without their teammates drawing any extra cards.
• The player going first for each team may not attack on their first turn.

Game Play
• Players may not reveal their hands to their teammates or to the opposing team unless a game rule requires them to do so.
• Only the player whose turn it is may initiate conversation with his or her teammate. Conversation should be limited to short “yes” or “no” questions. General strategy or moves should not be discussed.
• If an attack or action on a player’s card Knocks Out the opposing player’s Pokémon, the acting player takes the appropriate number of Prize cards. If the player does not have enough Prize cards remaining, the player’s teammate takes the remainder from their Prize cards.
• If a player’s last Pokémon is Knocked Out but the player’s teammate still has at least one Pokémon in play, the player is not eliminated from the game and may play Trainer, Supporter, and Stadium cards on their turn. If that player draws a Basic Pokémon, they must play it in the Active position on the first available opportunity. If neither player on a team has any Pokémon in play, the opposing team wins the game.
• If a player cannot draw a card at the beginning of their turn, that player is removed from the game. That player’s teammate places Prize cards from the bottom of their deck equal to the eliminated player’s remaining Prize cards.

Card References

• Cards that state “you” or “your” refer to the active player or their teammate, as designated by the player.
• Cards that state “your opponent’s Pokémon” refer to the opponent that is being attacked, if the player is attacking, or the player’s choice of opponent, if the player is not attacking.
• Cards worded for 2-on-2 Battle are applied to both players on a team. For example, cards that refer to “each Defending Pokémon” will affect both teammates’ Defending Pokémon.
• Effects and attacks that refer to “all Pokémon in play” affect all Pokémon in play for both teams.

Between Turns

• Between-turns actions are taken before and after the turn of the player that owns the affected card.
• The effects of Special Conditions are checked for before and after the affected player’s turn.

14.3.1. Constructed

Team Battle—Constructed events use the standard Constructed rules, as listed in Section 11.1, with the addition of the Team Battle format rules including the number of Prize cards used, as described in Section 14.3.

14.3.2. Limited
Team Battle—Limited events use the standard Limited rules, as listed in Section 11.2, with the exception of the number of Prize cards used, in addition to the Team Battle format rules, listed in Section 14.3. Sealed Deck, detailed in Section 11.2.1, is an appropriate format for Team Battle—Limited events, though teammates are permitted to trade cards during the deck-construction process.

I realize these aren't as clear as they could be since they reference other sections of the document.  If anyone has questions, just ask or PM me and I'll explain those things, but you can probably work a few of them out for yourself.  For example, it mentions laying half as many Prizes as normal and to refer to another section from the original document... but that is only necessary if you don't already know what the official rules say.  If it a Team Battle using Standard or Expanded Format Rules, each player lays down three Prizes (half of six).  If it was a Limited Format match (the Limited Format is what you use at Pre-Releases), then each player would lay down two Prizes (half of four).

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)